Tuesday 4 February 2014

3 Quick Super Tips to a Cleaner House

I love having a clean house, I just really don't love spending time getting it to that state. Here are 3 Quick Super Tips to a Cleaner House:

1. Automate Something: My mom got a robotic floor sweeper for Christmas and it's genius. After watching her's for a few days I decided I needed one too. We have the open concept on our main floor with all laminate flooring so the sweeper works really well (especially with it's GPS technology). It comes with re-usable cloths but being the Lazy Super Mom, I opt to use the disposable Swiffer Sweeper brand cloths. Bonus is that I got mine for on sale for $149 at Canadian Tire (regular $249). From start to finish takes about an hour so I don't recommend it for that quick sweep before company comes over. Best plan, put it on nightly after the kids are in bed & while you're watching TV to get that "productive" feeling. Freshly swept floors have a big CLEAN impact. Oh, the robot also washes floors but I find the sweeper more beneficial.

2. Make it Smell Clean: How a house smells has a huge impact in the perception of clean. That's why I'm a Scentsy junky & finally decided that I might as well be a consultant! There are tons of great CLEAN scents including Clean Breeze (reminds me of that fresh laundry smell) and Welcome Home (which has a nice home-y smell to it). Scenty is super safe as it uses a light bulb to warm wax and can be left on 24/7. The wax doesn't evaporate so there is no danger of setting a fire. You can see current Scentsy product on my website at http://crystalnelson.scentsy.ca 

3. Throw Something Out: Or give it away. Or sell it. Doesn't matter, just get rid of it. The number one reason my house STAYS cluttered and messy is that I have more stuff than can be held reasonably within my space. This isn't new news but things are usually cliche and repeated because they are true. I can clean & organize my main floor but then my office will likely be over run with re-located piles of paper. Clean the office and the island in my kitchen usually gets filled back home. Everything doesn't have a home because there isn't enough room to have a home for everything. I literally went onto real estate websites last night because I'm feeling cramped with all the stuff. Turns out there isn't much better out there for space unless we're willing to double our mortgage (we're not).

Over the holidays I had a sneak peak in my aunt-in-laws cupboards & she had space in them. SPACE! As in room that was not being occupied by a crazy amount of cups, papers, spices, etc. Every time I grabbed a glass from her cupboards it had a calming effect on me to see that space there, rather than the chaotic-ness that explodes from my cupboards (and counters and floors...). So, go do a quick 5 minute purge in one of your most cluttered spaces right now. Then bask in the emptiness.



No comments:

Post a Comment